Tuesday 8 February 2011

Watching The Documentary 'Watching'

"WATCHING" Documentary

In the lesson we watched a film called the 'Watching' it was basically a doctumentary of film openings and how effective it was to make it the best, eye catching and spell binding sequence to grab the audience.
"Films need to seduce their audience into long term commitment. While there are many types of seduction, the temptation to go for instant arousal is almost irresistible."  - Thomas Sutcliffe
Coming from an audience prospective, I would have to agree with this quote because really, when watching an opening of a film, it has to be interesting, you can't have a very boring opening as then this, personally, shuts me down and I say to myself that 'I don't want to watch this because it looks like its going to be such a boring film' So really the director of the film would need to think to themselves whether or not 'Is this right? How can we make the opening of the film interesting and appeal to my target audience?'

In order to engage the audience in wanted to keep watching the film we the audience want to know that little bit more but we are kept off the edges of our seats. I also think that as the audience we shouldn't know too much of what is about to happen or what IS going to happen in the film but know a little bit about what is about to happen. The reason why I say this is because I feel that if the whole plot of the film is let out but without a bang, what is the point of actually filming and producing the film? Like really? Plots to films usually, well, films I've seen, have good ways of exposing the plots and so on.


"A good beginning must make the audience feel that it doesn't know nearly enough yet, and at the same times make sure that it doesn't know too little."

I found an excellent mini thriller clip which is only a minute long but it captures the border lines of HOW a thriller film SHOULD be !

No comments:

Post a Comment